The Best Essential Oil Diffusers 2021Updated on January 18, 2021 While all product recommendations are chosen independently, we may receive compensation for purchases made through our site. Learn more about how we make money here.
Essential oil therapy, also known as aromatherapy, is an alternative medicine practice that has been used by cultures around the world for thousands of years. The practice uses essential oils extracted from medicinal plants, herbs and flowers. Oils are selected from plants believed to have curative or therapeutic properties, ranging from stress relief to improving sleep quality. Aromatherapy can help promote better sleep by inducing a relaxed state of mind and relieving some of the stress accumulated during the day. Therapeutic oils can be applied topically or inhaled to promote relaxation and other positive effects.
One of the most popular ways to practice aromatherapy is with an essential oil diffuser. These small devices help to disperse the therapeutic aroma of the selected oils throughout the room. Selecting the best essential oil diffuser can have a big impact on the effectiveness of your aromatherapy routine.
We’ve compiled our favorite essential oil diffusers for sleeping below. The selections were made based on test results, user feedback/reviews, and features (with a focus on features for sleep, like auto shut-off timers, long run times, quiet operation, etc.). Below, find our picks for the best essential oil diffusers on Amazon.
Our Top Picks
|1000ml Essential Oil Diffuser||Large capacity, run time up to 20 hours, auto shut-off, humidifier||See Best Price|
|Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser||Whisper-quiet, automatic shutoff, 3 different modes, 3-4 hours of continuous operation||See Best Price|
|Ultimate Aromatherapy Ultrasonic||Comes with essential oils, nightlight with 7 different colors, two intensity settings, 1 year warranty coverage||See Best Price|
|Essential Oil Diffuser||Safety auto switch-off, seven-color LED nightlight, large 500ml water tank, 1 year warranty coverage||See Best Price|
|Diffuser for Essential Oils||Huge capacity (1500ml), long run time of up to 20 hours, customizable settings, whisper-quiet operation, covers up to 325 square feet||See Best Price|
URPOWER 1000ml Essential Oil Diffuser
Why we like it:
- Large capacity for long run time (up to 20 hours)
- Easy auto-shutoff feature is useful for sleeping
- Colorful night light built-in with 7 different colors
- Remote control allows you to change settings without getting out of bed
The URPOWER 1000ml Essential Oil Diffuser is a great all-around option for at-home aromatherapy. It’s a large and fully-featured unit that is well reviewed, and offers many helpful features. The URPOWER offers several features that make it great for nighttime aromatherapy. The auto shutoff feature allows you to select a preset time frame for automatic operation before the unit shuts itself off. Meanwhile, the large capacity allows for continuous operation for up to 20 hours on low, and 10-15 hours on high. And perhaps best of all, the remote control lets you place the unit anywhere in your bedroom while operating it from under your cozy covers. You can also use this diffuser as a humidifier by just running the unit with water and no essential oil. This unit uses ultrasonic diffusion technology.
This unit has earned great reviews on Amazon and other third party retailers. Reviewers noted that the unit was easy to operate and clean, and that it was very quiet for nighttime use. The URPOWER is designed to be used in rooms of up to 430 square feet, so it’s more than powerful enough for the average bedroom or even larger living rooms. Overall, this is a high-end unit at a surprisingly affordable price.
InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
Why we like it:
- Small and highly portable unit
- Very affordable
- #1 bestselling aromatherapy diffuser on Amazon
- Simple settings and operation
The InnoGear Upgraded Version Aromatherapy Diffuser is a simple, affordable and minimalist option. It features just 3 modes: continuous operation, intermittent (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off), and lights only. It’s also quite affordable compared to many models on this list, and provides a good option for people just getting into the world of aromatherapy. While it lacks some of the bells and whistles of higher-end models, the InnoGear is a fantastic entry-level choice. This unit is an ultrasonic diffuser.
When it comes to sleep, the InnoGear diffuser has a few useful options. It will automatically shut off when it runs out of water, so you can run it for most of the night continuously. It also has built in nightlight features with 7 different colors. However, it does not have a timer functionality, nor does it offer a capacity big enough to run all night long.
This unit comes with a 45-day money-back return policy, as well as a 12-month warranty. Since the capacity is small and the features basic, this product is best for people who are new to aromatherapy and just want an affordable, basic diffuser.
Pure Daily Care Diffuser
Why we like it:
- Comes bundled with 10 essential oils
- Stylish printed wood design
- Multiple timer options and power settings
- Auto shutoff feature
The Ultrasonic Diffuser provides a great starter kit for anyone new to the world of aromatherapy. It comes bundled with ten 10ml jars of essential oils (lavender, tea tree, orange, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, nutmeg, jasmine, clove, and spearmint). This makes it a great gift for friends and family, or a nice treat for anyone looking to test out aromatherapy at home. It’s also a great value, as the oils alone would be pricey to buy individually. As the name suggests, this unit uses ultrasonic technology.
The unit itself is small, with a 300ml capacity and is adequate for small to medium sized spaces. It has useful timer settings for 1 hour, 3 hours, and 6 hours, as well as a backlit nightlight. The diffuser is made of BPA-free plastic that is styled to look like wood. The Ultrasonic has received great customer reviews, with many people noting that the product offered excellent value for money and was easy to use. On the other hand, this unit is a bit noisier than some, so if you are a light sleeper you may want to choose a different diffuser.
ASAKUKI Essential Oil Diffuser
Why we like it:
- Good mid-sized capacity at 500ml
- Safety auto-off feature
- Several mist nebulizer modes
- Made from premium materials that are safe for use
The ASAKUKI Essential Oil Diffuser is a solid mid-range oil diffuser. It’s right in the middle of the pack in many ways – it has a mid-sized 500ml capacity, an average runtime of 10 hours (on high), and a price that puts it firmly in the mid-range category. It has both strong and weak modes, with an option to set a timer for 1 hour, 2 hours, or 3 hours. With or without a timer set, the unit will shut off when it runs out of water, which is a helpful safety feature. It uses nebulizer technology to disperse essential oil aroma.
The capacity and power of this unit makes it suitable for medium sized bedrooms. It has earned great customer reviews, with many people mentioning that it operates very quietly and is easy to operate. If you’re looking for a mid-range option, both in price and features, this is a great choice.
Exqline Diffuser for Essential Oils
Why we like it:
- Huge capacity of 1500ml
- Great for large rooms and even entire apartments
- Adjustable humidity level
- Very quiet operation
The Exqline Diffuser for Essential Oils is a powerful, large capacity unit that’s designed for larger spaces. For aromatherapy, the unit is rated to cover 450 square feet. For humidification, it can adequately cover up to 325 square feet. If you’re looking to use a diffuser in a larger space, such as a living room or master bedroom, this is a good choice. It uses ultrasonic technology to disperse the essential oils.
In terms of features, the Exqline is attractive. It has a few unique features, including an adjustable mist output nob (most comparable units only have 1-2 options, while the Exqline has many). Another noteworthy feature is the adjustable side vapor nozzle, which allows you to adjust the orientation of the diffusion to better suit the dimensions of the room. Beyond that, the unit features an auto shut-off feature, 7-color LED nightlight, and BPA-free material construction.
Essential Oil Diffusers Buyer’s Guide
Essential oil diffusers are an integral part of the aromatherapy experience. While not strictly necessary, a good diffuser can greatly improve both the effectiveness and enjoyment of using essential oils. But how do you select the best essential oil diffuser for you?
The section below will explain the basics of diffusers, what to look for when buying one, and the different types of diffusers that you should be aware of. We’ll also cover more details about how essential oil diffusers can help you sleep, and what features are most important to look for.
What is an Essential Oil Diffuser?
First, what is an essential oil diffuser? What benefits does it offer over more traditional aromatherapy methods?
Essential oil diffusers are small devices that help disperse the pleasant and therapeutic aromas of essential oil. There are different types of diffusers (explained below) that function in different ways. Ultimately, the goal of every style of diffuser is the same: to spread the aroma of the oil throughout the room, helping to deliver the beneficial effects of the selected oil.
Most diffusers use water to dilute the oil and make it easier to spread through the room. Some use heat to evaporate the liquid, while others use ultrasonic or nebulizer technology to disperse water and oil molecules throughout the room. The section below covers the various styles in more detail.
Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
All essential oil diffusers have the same intended purpose, but each achieves that purpose in a unique way. There are pros and cons to each style, so it’s best to familiarize yourself with each before beginning your search.
Evaporative diffusers are the simplest of the bunch. They rely on the natural process of evaporation to release aroma into the air. Usually the oil is placed on a small pad or stone and allowed to evaporate (with the help of a fan, in some cases). This is the simplest, least effective option.
Nebulizing diffusers can vaporize essential oils without the use of heat or vibration. They do this by forcing pressurized air through the oil, which atomizes and is pushed through a small hole. Some nebulizers work without water, while others are nebulizer/diffuser hybrids that still use water.
Ultrasonic diffusers use vibration instead of heat to create small particles of water. These diffusers feature small ceramic disks that vibrate at a high frequency to break apart water particles into a fine mist. These are some of the most effective and most popular diffusers on the market.
Oil Diffuser Considerations
When choosing an essential oil diffuser, there are several considerations that you should look at. Things like the type of diffusion technology, the capacity of the machine, the noise level it produces, and even the physical style of the design are all important to consider. Since everyone has unique needs and desires, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. Below, find a list of things to consider before purchasing your next diffuser.
- Type: The types of diffusers are explained in more detail above. The style you choose is very important as it has an effect on just about every other factor described below. In general, we recommend nebulizer and ultrasonic diffusers because they are more effective, and many can also double as humidifiers.
- Effectiveness: The effectiveness of a particular product refers to its ability to properly diffuse essential oils. This is an important factor for anyone, but it’s particularly important for anyone who may be using expensive essential oils such as rose oil. To gauge effectiveness, you can look at the manufacturer specs and read detailed reviews left by customers.
- Noise: Noise is a very important factor, particularly for anyone who plans to use their diffuser while sleeping. Generally speaking, nebulizer and ultrasonic style diffusers are fairly quiet, although it’s important to read reviews of specific products to make sure. It’s also good to consider whether you are a light or heavy sleeper.
- Size: The size of the machine you choose may be an important factor, depending on the available space and the design of the room you plan to use it in. Most diffusers are fairly small, around the size of a tea kettle or smaller – so size likely won’t be a very significant factor in your search.
- Capacity: The capacity of a unit refers to the size of its water tank, if applicable. The most common sizes are ~300ml, ~500ml, and ~1,000ml. Bigger tanks mean longer runtimes and less frequent refills, although they also come with physically larger machines.
- Design: You will want to consider the design of the device and how it fits with the room you are planning to keep it in.
- Additional Features: Additional features such as built-in timers, nightlights, etc. are useful perks to consider when shopping around. Be sure to think about your intended uses for the device to determine which features may be most useful.
- Safety: Safety is always an important consideration. In general, units that do not use heat (including nebulizer and ultrasonic diffusers) have better safety ratings than heated diffusers.