Avocado Mattress Review
Editor’s Rating – 8.8/10
The masterminds behind the Avocado Green Mattress believe that a comfy mattress is a healthy mattress. Troubled by the synthetic foams, chemical adhesives, and toxic flame retardants in many beds on the market, the Avocado creators decided to design a mattress that would be truly “green”.
Enter the Avocado Green. The luxury bed is handcrafted in California from natural and sustainable materials like Dunlop latex from pure rubber tree sap, New Zealand wool, and recycled-steel coils.Its premium materials and thoughtful design make the Avocado Greed bed as friendly to the earth as it is to your spine.
- Zoned internal pressure-point coil construction keeps spine in healthy alignment
- Cool, breathable, all-natural Dunlop latex delivers cushion without chemical off-gassing odor
- Joma New Zealand wool cover wicks moisture and serves as a natural fire retardant
- Above-average edge support
- Optional euro-style pillow-top provides additional pressure release
- Free shipping and 100-night home trial with free return
- Greenguard Gold-certified for meeting stringent emission standards for chemical exposure and pollutants
- Limited data on longevity of the beds, since the Avocado company launched less than three years ago
- Pricing higher than other other bed-in-a-box mattresses on the market
Avocado Mattress Specs
|Cover||Organic cotton with Joma wool|
|Optional Euro-Style Pillow-Top||Dunlop latex with soft firmness||2″||14 – 19|
|Top Layer||Dunlop latex with medium firmness||2″||20 – 25|
|Support Layer||756 – 1,414 pocketed recycled steel coils||8″|
|Base Layer||Dunlop latex with medium firmness||1″||26 – 31|
How is the Avocado Mattress built?
If you include the optional two-inch European pillow-top layer, the Avocado Green mattress stands at 13 inches tall. Below, we’ve broken down the layers of an Avocado mattress with the optional topper:
- Cover – The Avocado bed cover is hand-tufted with GOTS-certified organic cotton that naturally wicks moisture and regulates temperature. The non-toxic stretch knit is soft and durable, in addition to being naturally resistant to dust mites and bacteria. Rather than relying on toxic chemical adhesives found in other mattresses, the cover is button-tufted with wool yarn rosettes. The unique button-tuft stitch helps improve mattress longevity by working to prevent layers from becoming loose.
- Optional attached Euro-style topper – If you go for the optional European-style pillow-topper, your Avocado mattress will start off with two inches of cooling, all-natural l Dunlop latex. The sustainable rubber material is harvested from Hevea Brasiliensis trees in Asia. In addition to being bouncy, durable, and supportive, the latex naturally wicks away moisture and promotes air circulation. The optional pillow-top layer delivers additional pressure release and is a worthy addition for sleepers who prefer a softer bed that doesn’t sacrifice support.
- Top layer – Beneath the cover or optional European-style topper sits another two-inch layer of Dunlop latex. Like the pillow-top, the slightly firmer layer of latex also allows air circulation and promotes cool sleeping. The top layer helps distribute your body weight and relieve pressure in sensitive zones.
- Support layer – The heart of the Avocado Green bed is its recycled-steel coil support layer. The eight-inch layer is constructed from 756 to 1,414 individually pocketed steel coils that move independently to support joints and isolate motion. The ergonomic support coils help the upper latex layers conform to your body’s natural curves and give the mattress its above-average edge support.
- Base layer – Holding it all up is a one-inch layer of firm Dunlop latex. The high-density layer serves as the foundation of the bed and adds an extra layer of support.
Comfort and Firmness
The upper layers of Dunlop latex in the Avocado Green mattress are firm and bouncy, providing adequate contouring without the deep sinking associated with memory foam beds. The optional, softer pillow-top provides additional cushion and contouring. With both the pillow-top and non-pillow-top versions, the sensation of sleeping on the Avocado mattress feels like floating rather than sinking into the mattress.
Without the pillow-top, our editors give the Avocado Green mattress a 6.5 out of 10 or “medium firm” rating. With the pillow-top, the Avocado bed gets a 5.5 out of 10 or “medium firm” rating. Both options offer sufficient firmness to support the body, while providing enough softness to contour pressure points for average- to heavy-size sleepers.
Second to comfort, spinal support is the most important characteristic to consider when hunting for a new mattress. Sufficient support is essential to the health of your spine, helping to reduce pressure, prevent aches, and even improve posture.
With its zoned recycled coil support system, the Avocado Green boasts exceptional spine support. Its 756 to 1,414 individually wrapped coils are laid out in three unique zones, conforming to your body’s pressure points and distributing weight to provide personalized joint support and spinal alignment.
The Avocado bed supports your spine no matter what position you tend to sleep in. As a back sleeper, you may find your spine is supported by the zoned coil system as the latex treats your lumbar region to pressure release. If you prefer to sleep on your belly, your hips will be well supported by the sturdy coil layer — even if you have a higher BMI. As a side sleeper, you may want to consider the pillow-top version of the mattress to allow for extra pressure release around your shoulders and hips, particularly if you have a lower BMI.
Sizing and Pricing
|Twin||$959 ( +$240 with pillow-top)|
|Twin XL||$999 ( +$300 with pillow-top)|
|Full||$1,199 ( +$300 with pillow-top)|
|Queen||$1,399 ( +$400 with pillow-top)|
|King||$1,699 ( +$500 with pillow-top)|
|California King||1,699 (+$500 with pillow-top)|
Firmness, Trial, Warranty
|No pillow-top: 6.5
With pillow-top: 5.5
|100 nights||25 years|
Avocado Mattress Ratings
- Materials and Quality 90%
- Support and Comfort 87%
- Cooling 86%
- Edge Support 93%
- Trial/Warranty 87%
- Value 87%
Some brands of latex mattresses experience sagging around the edges where users sit or sleep. However, the fabric-wrapped steel coils of the Avocado bed include a reinforced perimeter that allows for superior edge support. The Avocado’s above-average edge support works to prevent the sensation of rolling off the bed if you sleep near the edges. Sit on the edge of the bed, and you’ll notice only a slight compression in the top comfort layers before the reinforced perimeter of the steel coils kicks in to support your weight.
How does it handle motion? Is it responsive?
If you share a mattress, your bed’s ability to handle motion is an element worth considering. With poor motion isolation, you are more likely to be stirred awake by the movements of your partner as he or she shifts positions or crawls in and out of bed. With good motion isolation, on the other hand, the mattress absorbs your partner’s movements and prevents vibrations from transferring across the mattress to allow you to sleep uninterrupted.
Even though innerspring-based beds are often associated with poor motion isolation, the latex layers of the Avocado Green mattress work to keep motion transfer at a minimum. According to Avocado bed review posts, sleepers find the mattress does a good job at isolating the movements of their partner so they are not disturbed in their sleep.
The Avocado mattress manages to balance decent motion isolation with responsiveness. The top latex layers deliver terrific bounce, regaining shape almost instantly when pressure is released. The bed’s bounciness and responsiveness make shifting positions in the night virtually effortless, promoting a more restful sleep.
Does it regulate temperature? Does it sleep hot?
One of the most appealing aspects of the Avocado Green mattress is its eco-friendly, all-natural materials, which work together to keep your body cool. The coolness of the Avocado bed begins with the certified organic cotton cover, which is naturally breathable and moisture-wicking. Beneath the cover is a layer of Joma New Zealand Wool, which also helps with moisture wicking and breathability. Adding to the cool sleeping experience is the all-natural Dunlop latex, which sleeps cooler than most foam-based materials and is aerated to promote air circulation.
Is there a smell?
Many mattresses release an initial, chemical-like “off-gassing” odor as they emit Volatile Organic Compounds when they are first unwrapped. Because the Avocado Green bed eschews synthetic foams, chemical flame retardants, and toxic adhesives, the mattress produces minimal off-gassing odor. In Avocado review listings, some sleepers report a very subtle natural scent that disappears within a few days.
How durable is it?
Launched in 2016, the Avocado Green mattress isn’t backed by any concrete data supporting longevity beyond a couple of years. Still, the all-natural, high-quality of its materials suggest the Avocado bed may enjoy a longer-than-average lifespan. Its 100-percent-natural Dunlop latex rubber is renown for being more durable than other types of latex or foam materials, meaning the bed is less likely to experience depressions and sagging over time. The sturdy cotton cover and innovative coil construction contribute to the Avocado mattress longevity.
What Do Avocado Customers Think?
Seriously, they’re great!
Best. Mattress. Ever.
After years of searching
Loving our Avocado
It’s been almost a month and we are extremely happy with our Avocado so far! We purchased the standard matress without the pillow top and it’s the perfect level of firmness for my hubby and I which has proven to be a tough task until now. We tried out two other mattresses from a similar green online matress company and unfortunately both of them h
ad to be returned due to sagging after less than 6 weeks. Instead of trying out another memory foam hybrid matress we went with the Avocado based on it’s organic cotton, Jorma Wool, latex, and recycled coils. Through research I found memory foam tends to sag within 3 years and latex is far more resilient.
Who is the Avocado Mattress best suited for?
With its individualized, multi-zone coil support system, the Avocado mattress can accommodate sleepers of many different preferences and body types. Here’s the lowdown on how the Avocado Green interacts with different sleep styles:
- Back sleepers – The coils of the Avocado Green mattress are positioned to be firmer beneath the lumbar area and softer beneath the shoulders, keeping your spine in healthy alignment.
- Stomach sleepers – For stomach sleepers, the Avocado offers extra support beneath the heavier pelvic region.
- Side sleepers – If you are an average- to heavy-size side sleeper, you might notice the Avocado does a good job providing pressure release around your hips and shoulders. However, if you have a particularly low BMI, you may find the Avocado bed to be overly firm.
Avocado Mattress Review – Conclusion
If natural materials and environmental sustainability are high on your list of priorities when shopping for a bed, the Avocado mattress is an easy choice. Its all-natural, biodegradable latex , recycled steel coils, and organic cotton make it one of the most earth-friendliest mattresses on the market. The best part? Eco consciousness doesn’t have to come at the expense of comfort. The Avocado Green bed combines the best of both worlds: eco-friendly materials with excellent support, pressure release, and cooling.
The Avocado mattress is a little on the pricier side due to the premium quality of its materials and sophisticated construction. But the bed’s high-end design means its likely to stand the test of time, so paying a little more up front could save you big in the long run.